Spring/Summer Programs (April-September) – Click on links for program details
Our full season youth paddling programs offer kids a chance to join a sports paddling team; the False Creek Youth Paddling Team!
Level 1 – FUNdamentals & Foundations (*ages ~6-12)
Level 3 – Training to Train (*ages ~12-15)
Level 4 – Learning to Compete (*ages ~14+)
*please note that the age ranges specified are only approximate, and coaches will put paddlers at the program level they feel is most appropriate for them. New paddlers (regardless of age) will start with the Level 1 group until they acquire enough balance and basics to benefit from moving into the other Levels.
REGISTER HERE: Youth Flatwater Registration (see Registration Steps below).
FREE TRIAL SESSIONS! To kick things off, we’re hosting 5 free trial sessions in April to promote our Spring/Summer Full Season Youth Program. Come out to any of the following sessions and try out paddling with us! Bring your friends!
Wed April 5 @ 4:30-6pm
Fri April 7 @ 4:30-6pm
Sat April 8 @ 11:15am-12:45pm
Wed April 12 @ 4:30-6pm
Sat April 15 @ 11:15am-12:45pm
Two more dates added!
Wed April 19 @ 4:30-6pm
Fri April 21 @ 4:30-6pm
Before attending our trials: Please email email@example.com and let us know you are coming so we can provide you with details on where to meetup, a waiver form to fill out, etc.
- April – June
- Level 1s – Wed/Fri @ 4:30-6pm, Sat @ 11:15am-12:45pm (Sat time may shift slightly later if Level 1 and 2 group sizes grow significantly)
- Level 2s – Wed @ 4:30-6:30pm, Fri @ 4:30-6pm, Sat @ 11:15am-12:45pm
- Level 3s – Mon/Wed/Fri @ 4:30-6:30pm, Sat @ 8:30-10:30am
- Level 4s – Monthly training programs will be provided to athletes
- July – August
- Level 1s and 2s – M-F 9am-4pm – practices will run camp-style over the summer
- Level 3s and 4s TBD
- Sept – TBD
See above program links for further details on schedule and regatta dates.
- 9 and under paddlers – $595+gst *Cost includes full-day M-F camps during July and Aug!
- 10 to 13 yr old paddlers – $695+gst *Cost includes full-day M-F camps during July and Aug!
- 14 yr old and older paddlers – $795+gst
- New paddlers in this age category will first start off in Level 1 to acquire balance and fundamentals, and once they are comfortable, quickly move into Level 2, with the goal of moving into Level 3 by the end of the season.
Note: age is as of January 1, 2017. e.g., if the paddler is 10 yrs old on Jan 1, 2017, they fall in the 10 to 13 yr old category.
*Cost also includes all club and regattas fees for the season, and a race jersey (total value of ~$250)! That’s like ~$450 for 6 months of paddling, which includes (for the U13 kids) 9 weeks of summer camps!
- Family 10% Discount (for siblings only) - Use discount coupon code FAMILYPADDLE if registering multiple participants from the same family to receive a 10% discount.
Flexible Payment Options:
- Pay in Full (at time of checkout) via Credit Card / Visa Debit / MC Debit
- Pay by Cheque – Bring a cheque with ‘Youth Flatwater – Participant Name(s)‘ written in the memo. Please hand to the coach at practice.
- Pay Later (within 30 days) – Log back into your online account to pay off your balance at: Please ensure the balance is paid in full within 30 days.
- Go to: Youth Flatwater Registration
- Either use an existing account if you have one, or choose to register new participants.
- Indicate the number of participants (in the same age category) you would like to register.
- Note: if registering multiple participants in different age categories, you’ll need to repeat the registration steps for each participant. e.g., indicating 2 for this step means that you are registering 2 participants in the same age category. If you are registering a 9 yr old and a 15 yr old, for example, just put 1 here, and repeat this process for the other paddler.
- Select the appropriate program option according to the participant’s age. Use age as of January 1, 2017 to determine option.
- Fill out the participant(s) details.
- Review the cart. Submit coupon code FAMILYPADDLE if registering multiple participants from the same family. The code will take a moment to reflect in the cart.
- Proceed to checkout.
- Upon payment, please save the confirmation for your records.
- That’s it! Can’t wait to see you at the club! We will be sending more details out to participants closer to the start date.
If you are new, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and introduce yourself!
Frequently Asked Questions
Things to Bring to Practice:
- running shoes for warmup
- paddling shoes / sandals for walking around in from boat shed to dock
- paddling (work out) clothes appropriate for the weather and type of practice (no jeans). See Cold Weather Paddling Clothing Suggestions below for recommendations on clothing when paddling in colder weather.
- additional clothes for changing into afterwards
- a towel
- water bottle and a snack for afterwards
- if it’s your first practice: a signed waiver form (for club insurance purposes)
- wristwatch (level 3 and 4 athletes only)
Cold Weather Paddling Clothing Suggestions:
- For the Head: A hat!
- For the Hands: Neoprene Gloves OR Pogies (preferred)
- For the Feet: Neoprene Socks (recommend even wearing wool socks underneath for extra warmth)
- For the Body: Thermal baselayers for the top and bottom. The more layers the better!
This is our first practice, where do we meet?
If this is your first practice, please meet your coach here by the wooden benches. We’ll head over to the canoe and kayak boat shed where we’ll normally meet before practices:
Can I just sign up for specific months? e.g., just June
Unfortunately, no. Our paddling program is just like any other sports program; it is designed to progressively develop the paddlers so each week we are building on prior weeks’ skills. So if you are only signing up for one month, then your kid(s) will not be getting much out of the program. The fundamental paddling skills for sprint canoe/kayak take time to develop and we want to ensure all of the kids in our program have the opportunity to do so.
Our program is also goal-oriented; our kids will set goals for themselves throughout the season. They also participate in a lot of fun regattas, allowing them to continually refine their skills and confidence on the water.
It’s already June, can I still join? If so, is my fee prorated?
If you join by June 1st, joining in at this time is fine. But the fees will not be prorated as during the July-Aug months, we will be running our practices camp-style (M-F 9-4pm), which new paddlers coming in would benefit a lot from as it is a fairly comprehensive summer camp program.
After June 1st, new paddlers will be asked to join our new Regatta Ready summer camp program instead. This is because joining in mid-June will not give the paddler enough time to grasp much of the basic skills before the camps start in July, and we’ve found this to be quite discouraging for new paddlers. We would rather them start their paddling experience off in an environment where a lot of new paddlers are starting out as well and progressively learning from there.
Did I read that correctly? The young kids in the program will practice M-F 9-4pm during July-August?
Yes that is correct. This year, during the summer, we will be integrating all the kids into a camp-style program. During this same time, we will be running our CanoeKids and Regatta Ready camps. We did it this way to give the kids in the program more paddling time, and to help the parents out!
However, in order to be part of the program, it is required that your kid(s) are coming out to practices in the April-June months. If your kid(s) are unable to make those practices, then they will be asked to join the CanoeKids or Regatta Ready camps instead. The reason why is because the Full Season program is a progressive, long-term athlete development program and for kids who are interested in competing. Not for parents just looking for a cheap summer camp option. Our CanoeKids and Regatta Ready camps are very reasonably priced anyways!
I can’t make all sessions in the week. Can I still sign up?
Yes definitely. We offer multiple sessions a week and while you are encouraged to attend as many as possible in order to get more practice, you are also welcome to make what you can.
Can I try a session before registering?
Yes definitely. Because the sport is so new to most kids, if you are thinking about registering your kids, but not sure if this program is right for them, I highly encourage you to bring your kids out and try out a session before registering. Just let us know so we know you are coming ahead of time.
How long does a Level last for?
Depending on the paddler’s age and progress in skill development, kids will be invited to move up to the next level at the coach’s discretion. Each level’s program page above has details on how paddlers can move up levels. In the end, we try to group paddlers who have a common goal and are at similar stages of development.
To elaborate, the idea behind the ‘levels’ is simply to group paddlers of similar ages and focus together. But they are always learning something new, so it doesn’t mean that by being in level 1, you will only learn level 1 stuff. All the kids, regardless of level, will always be working on improving their skills, paddling and fitness. We’ve just found that someone who is 7 yrs old is going to learn very different than someone who is 11. That being said, we have had some young paddlers who got really fast at age 10, and they started to even train with the older group. So the levels are not fixed by any means. Just simply a way to group paddlers who would practice well together. The coaches will always put paddlers where they will get the most out of the session.