The FCRCC Senior Women’s Outrigger program is a developing competitive program for senior women who want to excel at outrigger paddling. The program demands commitment, determination and a team perspective. The team is coached by a qualified coach for 3 sessions per month along with a focused practice plan for the remaining practice sessions.
The program started out as the team “Ohana Spirit”. As expressed in the team name, “Ohana Spirit”, this group values respect for one another and honours the connectedness that comes from training, racing and sharing a passion for paddling. “Ohana”, the Hawaiian word for ‘family,’ reminds us of our reliance on and caring for one another. “Spirit” alludes to the enthusiasm that is created when paddlers come together to share in the culture of Va’a.
- women over the age of 50 who are FCRCC members
- experience, fitness and ability to blend (as assessed by the coach and reviewed by the team’s steering committee)
- year round training in both OC6 and OC1 canoes which will include time trials
- a year round dry land training program that compliments and supports outrigger paddling
- willingness to follow the direction and advice of a qualified outrigger paddling coach
- the ability to place team paddling goals ahead of personal paddling goals
- payment of an annual team fee
- aiming for a minimum of 70% attendance at weekly daytime practices and 70% participation in the planned annual outrigger races: distance and sprint, local and international
Practice schedule for the Senior Women’s Outrigger Program is:
OC1 Monday’s 8:00 am – 10:00 am
OC6 Tuesdays 9:00 am – 11:00 am and Thursdays 12:30 – 2:00 pm
We are currently recruiting interested paddlers for the 2016 paddling year. This is a team that believes in good training, fitness, a competitive spirit but also fun. For more information contact: email@example.com